Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Good - Modesty vs. Extravagance

The Good - Modesty vs. Extravagance 

As I did my yearly whipper-snipping today on a beautiful, totally blue autumn morning, I started to reflect on the tension between two ideals as my clumsy title implies. 

What is the 'good', or rather, the balance point that we as Christians should move towards in life? Depending on the 'brand' of christianity that you lean towards (or that you have come from), either end of this spectrum can be 'good' or 'bad'. 

I found it interesting the degree of pleasure that I had 'improving' the state of my yard: pruning, trimming and weeding as I went, and gradually the activity began to spawn forth visions of 'grander designs' that exceeded the state of our home. Not to suggest that what we have is either too small or not able to meet our needs, or to the other extreme, too big.

Thus my train of thought.

And to where does this line of thinking lead? How would Christ have us live? Should we pursue objects of beauty and 'improve' environment, or should we refrain and live with greater modesty? 

I think that at this point in time I will to some degree withhold comment, as really, this is a life's journey and one that I don't have great clarity on given my current vantage point. I do think that there is a place for aesthetic beauty in this world, to be reflected not just in 'proper works of art', but also in our houses and gardens and attire. Don't get me wrong, I also think that this is a tenuous line and balance point that we need tread (and I know that I am the first to hold others in contempt for their seeming investment in such things). 

What I do think is this, that we need to respond to the Holy Spirit in terms of conviction, and our discipline in that response. 

Do we give when we are compelled from within? 

Do we act as good stewards in living in a way that is honourable? 

Do we work towards the 'good' in the possessions that we have?

And perhaps, most importantly, do we 'do' this out of a knowledge and response of our true value, or so that we 'feel' that we have value…

More to think on this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, my newsreader finally pulled in the feed! Yay. BTW I like these questions.

    ReplyDelete