Monday, May 13, 2013

Angry Birds


Angry Birds.

I just survived one of the most rewarding (and exhausting) experiences in my parenting life. 

As a parent, there comes a time when you end up in a situation where you have to hold the fort without the skills and experience that a mother (namely, my wife) brings to the family dynamics. This was the situation that I found my self in this last weekend.

For me, the highlight of the weekend was seeing my two youngest children having a world of fun (see pictures below) playing a game, almost of their own invention. Here is how the moment went down:

Bang! Bang! ….. Bang! [sounds of children jumping off the bed onto a mattress on the floor]

Dad: Kids - what are you doing?

Son: We’re playing ‘Angry Birds’. She is the pig and we’re knocking down the castle.


Now, my normal reaction to this type of activity - would be to feel a sense of stress, followed by an exasperated, ‘don’t jump off the beds - that’s not what they’re made for’. Instead - seeing the joy on their faces - and the fact that they were playing in a (relatively) safe way - I replied:

Cool.

So - I learned something this weekend. The ability to relax and enjoy your children being themselves and doing what they do is about (well partially) about letting go. I feel like I have more to ‘learn’ in this way and with any luck - I’ll get better at it too. 

If the beds were a little stronger - I would play ‘Angry Birds’ too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment